Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ET:Legacy
Wolf Enstein
post Jun 11 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #1

Group Icon General of the Army

Group: Management

Member No.: 12398

100zherBG posted a very interesting link in the chat box on SL. Radegast is in the process of developing a more modern version of our game, it's called ET:Legacy and it's showing a lot of promise. Here are some of the details:

ET: Legacy is a version of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (based on its open-sourced code). The main goal of this project is to fix bugs, remove old dependencies and make it playable on all major OSes while still remaining compatible with the ET 2.60b version and as many mods as possible.

What's the difference between ET:L and, for example, OpenWolf, ET:Xreal or raedwulf-et? As mentioned above, ET:L tries to maintain compatibility with ET 2.60b and its mods (tested so far: NoQuarter 1.2.9, Jaymod 2.2.0, siEnT 0.5.0 and ETPub). For up to date list of mod compatibility see this wiki page. Also have a look at the changes in the cvars.

This project is a fork of raedwulf-et at revision 24ca3ade888b. It also takes inspiration from ioquake and ET-Xreal (modular renderer planned in the future).

Download

Please download Windows and linux binaries from this page.
FreeBSD - being worked on (slowly)
Mac - planned

Warning !!!

This is an alpha quality software. It contains many bugs - some known, some not yet found. Do not replace your W:ET binaries with the ones you download from here. Instead unpack the directory to some other location and copy pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3, mp_bin.pk3, etkey (if you want to keep XP) and maps from your W:ET installation there.

Here's the official website: ET:Legacy

If you read through the thread over on Splash Damage, (SD thread here), you can learn much more about this and see the excellent progress that they have made already. This is certainly a new feature of our game that all Wolf:ET players should be very interested in.

Great work, Radegast super.gif .

This post has been edited by {WeB}GANG$TA: Jun 11 2012, 09:27 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dragon!
post Jun 12 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Group Icon Sergeant Major

Group: Members

Member No.: 89254

I wouldn't suggest to use ET:L. Not yet. It's still very bugged and released versions provide worse performance than 2.60b.

--------------------

+Quote Post
masahari
post Jun 12 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Group Icon Corporal

Member No.: 52952

Hi all

That sounds good. is this in use at any server? anyone know?? help.gif help.gif depp.gif grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TomDome
post Jun 12 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #4

Group Icon Tastenklimperer

Member No.: 31172

I think only on testservers Masa. But 100zherBG wrote into the shoutbox that he was on F|A server testing it with around 50 ppl and it ran smooth.

If it evolves into beta stadium it might be worth a closer look imo.

--------------------
cheers Tom
...providing service for the sl since 2006.

Dont forget, this site is about games, friends and fun. Keep it all nice and friendly.

+Quote Post
100zherBG
post Jun 12 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Group Icon Corporal

Member No.: 83852

I have only tested Linux client side etl-2.70-git20120504-linux-static-i386.tar.gz at F|A Jaymod 2.2.0, 2.60b (2.55+) server. Play only one level... next days I will be test to other servers too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wolf Enstein
post Jun 12 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #6

Yep, like Tom said, Masa bro, one of the F|A Clan servers seems to be running ET:Legacy and it's running well. Dragon's right too though, it still has a lot of bugs, but if servers don't try it out then fixing these bugs would take forever.

QUOTE (TomDome @ Jun 12 2012, 06:17 PM) *
If it evolves into beta stadium it might be worth a closer look imo.

Agreed, Tom super.gif . The guys have done a lot of great work so far, once they get the stability they're looking for then I'm sure that a beta release wouldn't be too far away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{WeB}*DoG
post Jun 13 2012, 04:27 AM
Post #7

Group Icon Second Lieutenant

Member No.: 13132

We will deffo have to keep an eye on this, ET always had the best gameplay if it sorts out the graphics could well be worth upgrading to it... if its still buggy then its prolly way to early to think about installing it. Unfortunately i am still learning the server stuff so would nopt be able to fix it if it went wrong. But for sure lets keep an eye on it!!! anything that lets you see G-man bleed in more detail has to be a good thing#!!! cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif

--------------------

LONG LIVE ET ! LONG LIVE SL ! LONG LIVE {WeB}!!!

+Quote Post
Dragon!
post Jun 13 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Group Icon Sergeant Major

Member No.: 89254

Server-side ET:L binaries are developed with help from Paul. You can see version such as "ET 3.00 - TB 0.5.5 linux-i386" on some servers. They aren't bugged in any way, only client-side binaries are still in very-alpha stage.

This post has been edited by Dragon!: Jun 13 2012, 03:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wolf Enstein
post Jun 13 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Dragon! @ Jun 13 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Server-side ET:L binaries are developed with help from Paul..............only client-side binaries are still in very-alpha stage.

Ah, I never knew that, Dragon, thanks for the info super.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
{WeB}*DoG
post Jun 14 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #10

Another interesting thing with legacy is that it generates its own ETKey. By the way 100zherBG whats the ip of the test server would love to have a look at it running.... rolleye.gif

This post has been edited by {WeB}*DoG: Jun 14 2012, 11:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
100zherBG
post Jun 15 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #11

Group Icon Corporal

Member No.: 83852

Current Linux version don't overwrite my exist ETkey file... {WeB}*DoG, extract ET:Legacy to some other place outside W:ET installation folder. Create backup of W:ET files duplicates with ET:Legacy and also backup ETkey file, and after that overwrite W:ET with Legacy files. Test at any server without PunkBuster.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{WeB}*DoG
post Jun 16 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #12

Thanks for the info 100zherBG i'll give it a go cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wolf Enstein
post Jun 18 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #13

ET:Legacy can now support Ubuntu 1204. Here's what Radegast posted:

"We now have deb packages for Ubuntu 12.04. I wrote a short guide which takes you step-by-step through the installation process: Installing ET:L on Ubuntu 12.04. Soon there will be packages for OpenSuse, Debian and Fedora. These are nightly builds, which means they get automatically compiled every day from our repository, so it is as bleeding edge version as it gets." - Radegast

More info HERE.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Radegast
post Jun 20 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #14

Group Icon Private 1st Class

Member No.: 136076

QUOTE (Dragon! @ Jun 13 2012, 04:54 PM) *
Server-side ET:L binaries are developed with help from Paul. You can see version such as "ET 3.00 - TB 0.5.5 linux-i386" on some servers. They aren't bugged in any way, only client-side binaries are still in very-alpha stage.

This used to be true but not anymore. Paul tested ET:L server extensively but found some serious bugs with enhmod and instead of trying to fix them decided to start over. Another guy from our team called Solchannel joined him. Their new project is called ET 3.00 and the only thing it took from ET:L is improved tracker statistics I guess.

QUOTE (100zherBG @ Jun 15 2012, 03:43 PM) *
Current Linux version don't overwrite my exist ETkey file...

If you have a standard sized ETkey (generated by PB or etkey.org) ET:L will use it, otherwise it will attempt to contact our master server and create a key pair (local and remote). This was meant to be the foundation of our new protection against cheaters but I am not sure if we will ever finish it. The console command to get new etkey is 'getguid'. The drawback of this is if our guidserver is down you'll not get new etkey...

QUOTE (Dragon! @ Jun 12 2012, 09:43 AM) *
I wouldn't suggest to use ET:L. Not yet. It's still very bugged and released versions provide worse performance than 2.60b.

On my system, ET:L's performance is on par with ET 2.60b and I don't have any major issues with it. However, I've heard about other people's experiences ranging from "random crashes" to "worse performance than 2.60b". If you want these bugs fixed then the least you could do is report it to our bug tracker and stating what operating system, processor architecture, graphics card and graphics driver version you have.

Thank you for spreading the word about ET:L, {WeB}GANG$TA and 100zherBG

This post has been edited by Radegast: Jun 20 2012, 05:50 PM

--------------------
Enemy Territory: Legacy - a second wind for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - http://www.etlegacy.com

+Quote Post
Wolf Enstein
post Jun 20 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Radegast @ Jun 20 2012, 06:41 PM) *
Thank you for spreading the word about ET:L, {WeB}GANG$TA and 100zherBG

You're more than welcome, Radegast super.gif . Our Clan has been keeping up to date with your excellent work by reading the thread over at Splash Damage. You and your team really have made great progress and everything that you guys do to benefit our game is very much appreciated. I read some of the negative comments in the SD thread, this just annoyed me, to be honest. These types are always, "all talk, no action", my advice to you and your guys is to just ignore the doubters and the skeptics and continue with the first class job that you're doing.

I'm sure that if there's anything that the Splatterladder Team can do to help you then they will gladly offer their assistance. So, thanks again, Radegast, keep up the good work, you have a lot of fans here on SL for sure cheers.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2020 - 08:34 AM