> ET: Legacy Version 2.75 :( :( :(
keMoN
post Dec 2 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #16

Group Icon Sergeant

Group: Members

Member No.: 90298

QUOTE (Nico'x @ Dec 1 2016, 06:31 PM) *
That's why I'm using default ET, on ETL I can't play on servers with PB and Anticheat...

Why servers are still running Punkbuster is inexplicable to us. It has been creating a lot of harm towards innocent players even when there was active support. Eever since it has been dropped, Punktbuster is definitely creating more harm than good. It only acts as a cvar restriction software that is also causing server lag and is kicking innocent players. Unfortunately, there are still server admins that think Punkbuster is necessary. Except always repeating that Punktbuster is utterly useless, there is unfortunately nothing we can really do about that.
When you say servers with Anti-Cheat, I suppose you are referring to ETPro and Nitmod built-in systems? Unfortunately we can't support them, because both mods are not in active development anymore. An anti-cheat system that is not actively being worked on is not entirely effective. You see that with every modern multiplayer game, it is a constant battle between anti-cheat systems and hacks. As soon as hacks find an exploit, the hackers all come out of their hiding places and ruin the game, but after some time the anti-cheat software has fixed that exploit and the game is playable without hackers again.
An anti-cheat software that is not being updated simply means, that found exploits are not being fixed. There is a reason why all competitive ETPro matches have moderators that watch everything, even though there is the glorified anti-cheat.

I'm not saying that having anti-cheat is bad, I'm saying relying on outdated and not actively updated anti-cheat is not going to work. Until a proper active Anti-Cheat is in place game-wise and not mod-wise, you will have to rely on admins and trusted players.

QUOTE (ETc|Jay @ Dec 1 2016, 10:39 PM) *
etl serverside is a waste of time in the development. The servers wich runs etl or etl with etl mod are empty and will be empty in future. For this nobody will search for.

It is not a waste of time. The code-base has been heavily uncrustified. We have reduced the overall codebase by over 30% by removing old dependencies, unnecessary loops in the code and more, all without losing functionality. The interaction from client and server in ET: Legacy is running a lot smoother than in any other ET engine/gameversion. There have been several reports that ET: Legacy has improved framerate significantly and I don't know of a single one where it was the opposite. Servers running ET: Legacy will feel considerably smoother when there is a lot to process.
The servers are empty because there are hardly any new players coming towards ET and some servers have that 'We always did it that way and we will keep doing it that way' mentality. This is the ET 2.55 to 2.60 problematic all over again. This is why ET: Legacy features full backwards compatibility. If a server is running ET: Legacy then all the old players can still come and play.

This post has been edited by keMoN: Dec 2 2016, 03:56 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ETc|Jay
post Dec 2 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #17

Group Icon Major General

Member No.: 18126

i have good running etserver with 50 players at evening. And some others have a good visited server too. me and them will never use it serverside.

the most are using 2.60b or the et300 it has alot of fixes. connectable with 2.55 and any other version. and without that et300 the special rating dont work from tb. i seen 4 servers using the mod etl. and some using the etlded. if you do that hard work for 10 empty servers?
you said there is over 30% removed. then the mods like nitmod should be clean too.

I never will use etl serverside. only clientside

the post above is just what i see and think. And thats most of time true.
I run etserver since 12 years now. Lets see what happens in 2 years with etl servers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
keMoN
post Dec 2 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #18

Group Icon Sergeant

QUOTE (ETc|Jay @ Dec 2 2016, 04:29 PM) *
the most are using 2.60b or the et300 it has alot of fixes. connectable with 2.55 and any other version.

ET: Legacy has full backwards compatibility. 'Full' also includes 2.55.
Just have a look at this list. These are all known bugs that were not fixed in 2.60b.
On the ET: Legacy wiki you can see all the changelogs from all releases, including ET 2.60 and 2.60b. If you actually care for fixes like you claim to do, then oh boy, do I have a lot of news for you.

and without that et300 the special rating dont work from tb

When saying 'special rating' do you refer to individual player rating? I will have to look into that if it really doesn't work. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

i seen 4 servers using the mod etl. and some using the etlded.

That doesn't mean the product is bad. That's the same things as Nokia saying, 'why should we build smart-phones, we are leading in the mobile phone sector'. If people would just stop with that "We have always done it like this, so this has to be the perfect and only way" mentallity, then just maybe this game can be revived.

if you do that hard work for 10 empty servers?

We do this because all of us enjoyed playing ET and see the potential this game still has.

you said there is over 30% removed. then the mods like nitmod should be clean too.

1. No, Nitmod is not an ENGINE
2. Have a look at the respective changelogs and don't base your arguments on assumptions.

I never will use etl serverside. only clientside

Sad to hear that. If active servers where choosing a more functional engine over an outdated one, then maybe this game could thrive in this day and age. By the way 2.60b vs. 2.55 was the same discussion. Apparently people were able to adapt, without the world burning to ashes.

the post above is just what i see and think. And thats most of time true.
I run etserver since 12 years now. Lets see what happens in 2 years with etl servers.

You may be running ET servers since 12 years, but even you said you were not using the initial game from 2003. Using a more functional and smoother engine, which comes with a ton of bug fixes, does NOT mean you are not running an ET server anymore. It means you have arrived in the future. By your logic you should downgrade to the initial 2.55 game.

Please, for the love of god, do not block the future based on a "We always did it that way, it has to be the only way" mentallity. It is completely ridiculous. Don't be Nokia, when you could be Google. Don't be a horse carriage driver when you could drive with autonomous cars in a few years. Just, god please, don't.

That being said, if you are not using ET: Legacy, because you are running an incompatible mod, then it is understandable. But then please do not disregard ET: Legacy with the arguments you brought up. Just say it is not possible for you at this point of time, because you are prefering the functionality of a mod that is not compatible. Hopefully in the future modders willopen up their development so we can implement support for their mods. But currently it is a bit hard, also because a lot of them are inactive and don't want to share their code.
We'll see what the future brings.

This post has been edited by keMoN: Dec 2 2016, 06:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nico'x
post Dec 2 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #19

Group Icon Second Lieutenant

Member No.: 120893

Well I used ET:L on linux, It worked perfectly, sound, fps, even my ping was lover for about -10 / -15 on servers where I had 70 on windows, on linux I had 50/60, tried to use default ET on linux, sounds doesn't work, fixed one time, when I tried day after, again no sound, nvm, ET:L is good, but not enough good because of PB ...

+Quote Post
keMoN
post Dec 2 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #20

Group Icon Sergeant

QUOTE (Nico'x @ Dec 2 2016, 06:27 PM) *
Well I used ET:L on linux, It worked perfectly, sound, fps, even my ping was lover for about -10 / -15 on servers where I had 70 on windows, on linux I had 50/60, tried to use default ET on linux, sounds doesn't work, fixed one time, when I tried day after, again no sound, nvm, ET:L is good, but not enough good because of PB ...

Thank you. That sounds great. Standard ET has a lot of problems with both Linux and Mac OS, we believe that is one of the strengths of ET: Legacy.
Although we can't support Punkbuster, we will try to find some ways for the next releases, to implement the same functionality as it has. We are already working on admin suites and the anti-cheat is in our heads, but it takes time. Hopefully, once we have the functionality ready, there will be more servers using ET: Legacy. We are just a small community so it is all in small baby-steps grin.gif But we are getting there.

Cheers

This post has been edited by keMoN: Dec 2 2016, 06:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ETc|Jay
post Dec 2 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #21

Group Icon Major General

Member No.: 18126

do you even read what i said? in short form now. I dont care what your talking about. I said what i think, etl for server is shit! Nobody is using it in future. Thats why i said lets see what is in 2 years. etl site down and nobody cares anymore.
The only good thing is the client. Ask any serveradmin here, nobody will add it. Guys who add it have no clue. You need to put in etlded inside what guys need. like this http://filebase.trackbase.net/et/server/et300_README.txt
for me the topic is closed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TomDome
post Dec 5 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #22

Group Icon Tastenklimperer

Group: Management

Member No.: 31172

Just stumbled over this secret bashing thread and getting kinda confused reading this from Kemon:

We don't have the possibility to check each and every clan page for reports, that is why we have such a broad variety of possible engagements to directly get in touch with us.
--> Sorry but since when is splatterladder on of "each and every clan page"?
--> WE have been one the reasons ET got that big it has been some years ago, alongside with Wolfmap.

It is also nice to see that one of the official site managers is not putting up a news entry, but rather secretly bashing the project.
--> Oh gosh, you got us. We were merely hiding and secretely bashing ETL. Damn, now we feel uncovered.

If you have questions or bug reports, please don't just post them somewhere and try to convince your site visitors that this release is awful.
--> Yeah right. Maybe you should do the same and stop posting here, accusing us or our forum members to just bash about your project.
--> Feel free to bash on your own forum.

As Jay said: closed

--------------------
cheers Tom
...providing service for the sl since 2006.

Dont forget, this site is about games, friends and fun. Keep it all nice and friendly.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 12:15 PM